Bloomberg today unveils its inaugural list of the companies and people transforming the way people live, work and think in the United Kingdom. Bloomberg Business Innovators 2016 aims to create a network of over 50 breakthrough business leaders who epitomise the vibrancy and diversity of the UK business scene, highlighting the firms that are growing or innovating at pace.
The Innovators span all sectors and fall into five key categories of change:
- Changing Industries: Those driving sector-wide change, from finance to healthcare, retail to manufacturing;
- Changing Lifestyle: Those transforming the good things in life, from how we eat to the way we travel;
- Changing the Environment: Those changing the world around us through social and environmental impact;
- Changing Thinking: Those changing the way we think about the world and how we engage with it; and
- Changing the future: The businesses fundamentally impacting the world we will experience tomorrow.
Bloomberg enlisted a judging panel comprising leaders in finance, technology, social enterprise and fast growth sectors to select a comprehensive collection of breakthrough businesses and personalities. Contenders were evaluated on a number of criteria, including their investment appeal, scalability, leadership credentials and potential impact on their industry, as well as society. Judges include:
- Saul Klein, Founding Partner, Localglobe
- Lisa Smosarski, Founder and Editor, Stylist magazine
- Rohan Silva, Founder and CEO, Second Home
- Eric van der Kleij, Managing Director, ENTIQ
- Matthew Taylor, Royal Society of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce
- Gi Fernando, Founder, Freeformers
- Sam Smith, Founder and CEO, finnCap
- Claire Braithwaite, Former Head, Tech North
- Giles Andrews, Co-founder and Executive Chairman of Zopa
- Manish Madhvani, Co-founder and Managing Partner, GP Bullhound
- Nate Lanxon, Head of European Technology Editorial, Bloomberg
Nate Lanxon, Head of European Technology Editorial, Bloomberg commented:
“The UK is a global powerhouse of innovation and growth. With such a wealth of talent and drive, we wanted to curate a network among the business leaders who epitomise the vibrancy and diversity of the UK business scene.
“We hope the Bloomberg Business Innovators reflect the companies and ideas that are changing how people live and work. Each of these businesses are, in their unique way, transforming industries, our lifestyle, our ways of thinking, the environment and the future for the better. We look forward to seeing what they will accomplish in 2016.”
Giles Andrews, Co-founder & Executive Chairman of Zopa and Bloomberg Business Innovators Judge, added:
“I think the UK is a great place for disruptive businesses. Consumer adoption of technology is high and it is a big market for most sectors. We are seeing industries flourish with technological change. It is exciting to see that there are so many great opportunities for innovative companies to grow right now.”