Get Your Staff To Like You With These Tips
Did you know that most people find the most stressful part of their job the way they relate to their boss? People naturally want to be liked, and as a business leader, you’ll find that the hardest thing that you have to handle in your job is getting your employees to like you. You’re their boss, not their friend, and you have to tell them what to do and keep them working and motivated to work. It’s a hard job to do and you’ll find that close friendships in the workplace can boost satisfaction by up to 50%.
Unfortunately, you won’t be able to be besties with your employees. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t get them to like you. You can still ensure that your employees appreciate working for you and like the way you work, especially with employee assistance programs on offer. You want to build meaningful friendships with your employees if possible, and the best way to do this is with the following tips!
- Get your employees involved in the processes you have at work. If you are making changes, ask for their help. People want to feel a part of something but they can only do that if they believe that they can be useful. Asking for their feedback will help them to feel wanted, and it’s a great way to help you bond with them, too! When you ask for their help, they’ll go out of their way to offer it to you, so make sure that you return the favor when the time comes for them to need your help, too.
- Be generous. If you’re offering employee assistance programs, consider what you could be offering to be more generous. Perhaps you can include dental in their health insurance plans? Your employees spend a big chunk of their day in your office working for you and ensuring that they can make you a profit – be generous with vacation time and salary allowances, and you’ll be working with people who love to work for you.
- Be a team player. Did you know that there are employers out there who won’t offer praise and a pat on the back if someone is doing well? Don’t be that kind of employer! Be the type of employer who will always offer rewards and praise to those who do well, as this is the type that people really want to work for. Pay it forward if you know that your colleagues are working well. This isn’t just about your admin teams, but your managers and sales guys, too!
- Learn to bond. Yes, you may be the one in charge, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t find things to bond over in your office. Make a point of finding things that you can bond over and show an interest in the things that your employees are interested in, too.
- Feed them! The best thing that any employer can offer is free food and drinks in the office. If all else fails with getting staff to like you, make sure that you are supplying everyone with free meals and snacks. Even if they don’t like you personally, they will still appreciate your effort to keep them comfortable.